The Great Communist Bank Robbery
- Original Title
- Marele jaf comunist
- Solomon, Alexandru, director.
- Romanian, English.
- Romania : Libra Film ; BBC ; France 2, 2004.
- Physical Description
- DVD-ROM (75 min.)
- In 1959 Romanian State Bank was allegedly robbed by a mysterious band of gangsters, who got away with millions of lei intended for the salaries of hard-working citizens. The police, helped by the secret agents, 'discovered' that the robbery had been carried out by a group of high-ranking communists, all holding important posts in government and all, as it happened, Jews. A show-trial followed, and the accused were forced to appear in a filmed 'reconstruction' of the robbery in exchange for promises of reduced sentences. The very same film was then used to provide vital 'evidence' for the prosecution. All but one of the defendants were sentenced to death, and the film was later used at closed party screenings for training purposes. Over forty years later, director Alexandru Solomon reconstructs the reconstruction, incorporating interviews with former prisoners, the cameraman of the infamous film, neighbors and secret police agents. Their accounts show that the propaganda film covered up more than it revealed.
- Documentary films
- Title Translation
- The Great Communist Bank Robbery
- Verzio Film Festival Submission
- Duration: 01:15:00
|DVD-ROM||OSA Film Library||OSA Film Library||FL Record 0698||-||-||-|