- Original Title
- Examen d'État
- Hamadi, Dieudo, director.
- Congo, Democratic Republic of (formerly Zaire) : Balducchi, Marie, 2014.
- Physical Description
- Blu-Ray (92 min.)
- National Diploma takes place in the director’s home city Kisangani, Democratic Republic of Congo and follows a group of young high school students who are about to take the state exam, which plays a key role in defining their future. Director Dieudo Hamadi films these students as they prepare for their exams in settings such as the school benches where they are sent after failing to pay teacher bonuses; in a communal house where they gather to study together; and on the chaotic streets of the city where they are trying to earn a living. Fed up with the system, a group of rebellious students decide to pool their resources and start their own makeshift study-center in a rented house they call ‘California.’ Their anxiety over studying for the test feels universal, but these students face additional hurdles due to their country's endemic culture of corruption. Hamadi depicts a society wrought as much by corruption as it is driven by creative strategies for survival.
- Documentary films
- Title Translation
- National Diploma
- Verzio Film Festival Submission
- Copyright Status
- Copyright by AGAT Films & Cie 52
|OSA Film Library||OSA Film Library||FL Record 3387||-||-||-|