HU OSA 335 Mária Heller Research Documentation
- Reference code
- HU OSA 335
- Mária Heller Research Documentation
- 1958 - 1989
- Description level
- Extent and medium (estimated)
- 9 archival boxes, 1.57 linear meters.
- Extent and medium (processed)
- 9 Archival boxes, 1.13 linear meters
Total: 1.13 linear meters
- Name of creator(s)
- Mária Heller, Eötvös Loránd University Institute of Sociology, later Faculty of Social Sciences
- Archival history
- Before the documents were donated they were located at the Eötvös Loránd University Institute of Sociology (later Faculty of Social Sciences), in the possession of the donor.
Content and structure
- Scope and Content (Narrative)
- The collection contains research documentation gathered by sociologist, Mária Heller. The donor's primary research areas are communication theory, discourse analysis, sociology of the public, national identity, sociolinguistics, sociology of game and advertising.
One of the major projects jointly conducted with sociologists, Ágnes Rényi and Dénes Némedi (1942-2010) was the research on publicity, which lasted almost two decades before the transition. During the research, Mária Heller led the project entitled, “Intellectuals' Discourses and Role Perception in Contemporary Hungarian Public Life.” In this project Heller undertook the structural analysis of the ‘limited publicity’ by studying particular debates and theoretical problems of public communication strategies and appearance of opposition between ‘private’ and ‘public’ in the strategies of public speakers during the Kádár regime.
The research on structure of Hungarian publicity and the relation between new Hungarian publicity and the 'intellectual field' by Némedi Dénes were also based on the scientific evaluation of the collection. The donor also contributed in the research project.
The collection comprises one series that contains the annotations of articles of the debates and the writers` datasheets.
- Appraisal, destruction and scheduling information
- During the processing of the collection no materials have been removed.
Conditions of access and use
- Conditions governing access
- The collection is open for research. General restrictions apply.
- Conditions governing reproduction
- Reproduction is allowed only for research and education purposes.
- Physical characteristics and technical requirements
- The annotations and datasheets are of good quality.
- Existence and location of originals
- Publications written in the course of the research project are available at the Library of the Faculty of Social Sciences at the Eötvös Loránd University.
- Description notes
- Arranged and Described by Örs Lehel Tari, November 30th 2015.