HU OSA 305 Fekete Doboz Alapítvány Video Archive
- Reference code
- HU OSA 305
- Fekete Doboz Alapítvány Video Archive
- 1988 - 2008
- Description level
- Extent and medium (estimated)
- 1876 analog video cassette (VHS, S-VHS, BETA-SP, SVHS-C)
51 DLT tape
Textual material on paper - approx. 1 shelf meter
- Extent and medium (processed)
- 1 Archival boxes, 0.13 linear meters
36 VHS, 0.90 linear meters
229 DVD-ROM, 2.29 linear meters
14 Oversized folder, 0.01 linear meters
512 Digital - Video, 0.51 linear meters
Total: 3.84 linear meters
- Name of creator(s)
- Black Box Foundation
Fekete Doboz Alapítvány
- Archival history
- Black Box Foundation and Open Society Archives have been in contact since the establishment of OSA in 1995.
Depositing the invaluable and unique video and textual collection at OSA began in 2011 by Black Box handing over 90 short documentaries; videos documenting the 1989 Opposition Roundtable Negotiations along with the transcripts in electronic format; news and other political programs produced and broadcast by the Hungarian Television in 1989; and DLT data tapes with the raw, unedited footage produced by Black Box in 1988-1989. Further shipping of video, textual and electronic records to OSA continued between 2012 and 2015, including the entire original analog video camera material shot between 1988 and 2008; their script lists, and the entire collection of documentary films produced by Black Box between 1988 and 2008.
- Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
- Black Box Foundation
Content and structure
- Scope and Content (Narrative)
- Over 200 documentary films and news programs created by Black Box along with their inventory, providing alternative news and independent coverage about the social and political changes in Hungary 1988-1996;
Over 3000 hours of raw, unedited footage shot on analog video by Black Box in Hungary and Eastern Europe 1988-1996;
About 1 m of textual material containing hand-written script lists to the raw footage by Black Box;
Original finding aid to the Black Box videos and the ready, edited films of Black Box in electronic format;
Over 500 hours of evening news and political programs broadcast by the state-controlled Hungarian Television in 1989;
Approx. 150 hours of video documenting the so called Opposition Roundtable Negotiations of 1989, with the participation of the Communist Party of Hungary, and the newly emerging democratic parties working out the mechanisms for the regime change in Hungary;
Over 50 documentary films by the Roma Media School students about the Roma of Hungary;
Approx. 50 hours of footage documenting the change of regimes in the former Eastern Bloc countries, produced by independent filmmakers.
The collection also contains videotaped oral history interviews relating to the history and perception of Radio Free Europe – Radio Liberty.
- Appraisal, destruction and scheduling information
- Not applicable.
Conditions of access and use
- Conditions governing access
- Open for research
- Conditions governing reproduction
- Copyrights held by creator
- English, Hungarian, Polish
- Description notes
- Processed by Ágnes Bencsik and Miklós Tamási 2000-2001; Zsuzsanna Zádori 2014; Described by Zsuzsanna Zádori May 2003; revised by Csaba Szilagyi in May 2011 and Zsuzsanna Zadori in March 2015.