HU OSA 300-30 Czechoslovak Unit
- Reference code
- HU OSA 300-30
- Czechoslovak Unit
- 1951 - 1994
- Description level
- Extent and medium (estimated)
- 224.0 linear meters (1665 archival boxes, 58 card boxes) and 405 rolls of microfilm
- Extent and medium (processed)
- 1 Archival card box, 0.32 linear meters
237 Rolls of 16 mm microfilm in microfilm cabinet, 5.45 linear meters
193 Rolls of 35 mm microfilm in microfilm cabinet, 9.65 linear meters
1746 Archival box, 218.25 linear meters
- Name of creator(s)
- Czechoslovak Unit
Content and structure
- Scope and Content (Abstract)
- The subfonds includes press clippings, news agency releases, transcripts of the Czechoslovak Monitoring, Biographical and Subject Card files, Press Surveys, Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty Research Papers and background analyses, index cards, emigree publications, posters and leaflets.
Originating from unofficial and non-public but mainly reliable sources (interviews with refugees, escapees, dissidents), Information Items in microfilm format from 1950 untill 1956 and on paper from late 1960's have a special value among the records.
Extensive is the information related to agriculture, armed forces, Central Committee of the Czechoslovak Communist Party, political parties and opposition, economy, culture, industry and state apparatus, security, ecology, social issues, foreign relations and biographies of both Czechoslovak and foreign personalities.
The records are primarily textual but they include one microfilm series as well.
Of particular value are some copies of newspapers from 1927, 1928, 1935, 1938 relating to the presidential elections, transcript from the Slánsky show trial, records related to the 1968 Prague Spring, files on Stalin, Tito, Brezhnev and Gorbachev, transcripts of phone calls of listeners to the Radios, documents focused on and produced by dissidents (Charta 77), files on the events of November 1989, file on the construction of the Gabčíkovo/Nagymaros dam.
The existence of multiple subject files and two country files is reflecting the filing practice of the Czechoslovak Unit.
Conditions of access and use
- Conditions governing access
- Czech, English, French, German, Hungarian, Slovak