HU OSA 301 Records of Index on Censorship
- Reference code
- HU OSA 301
- Records of Index on Censorship
- 1957 - 1998
- Description level
- Extent and medium (estimated)
- 37.50 linear meters
- Extent and medium (processed)
- 339 Archival box, 42.38 linear meters
1 Boxes of color prints, 0.44 linear meters
- Name of creator(s)
- Index on Censorship
Content and structure
- Scope and Content (Abstract)
- Index on Censorship was founded in 1972 by Stephen Spender with the goal to protect the basic human right of free expression. For the past 31 years, Index has reported on censorship issues from all over the world and has added to the debates on those issues.
This fonds comprises primarily background materials relating to censorship and the suppression of the press and freedom of speech, as collected by the staff members of the Index on Censorship. Materials on the same topics but from other independent or anonymous sources can be also found.
The records also deal with other human rights related topics such as migration, death penalty, victims of armed conflicts, minorities, political prisoners and prisoners of conscience, dissent and harassment of dissidents.
Some administrative files and, within them, correspondence of the editors with human rights informants, activists and monitors are also part of this fonds. As it also is an incomplete series of the periodical itself and other publications, too.
Conditions of access and use
- Conditions governing access
- Some files contain personal data. Access restrictions to these files are specified on the series and container levels.
- Publication note