HU OSA 300 Records of Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty Research Institute
- Reference code
- HU OSA 300
- Records of Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty Research Institute
- 1949 - 1994
- Description level
- Extent and medium (estimated)
- About 2500 linear meters, 414 rolls of 16 mm microfilm, 110 rolls of 35 mm microfilm, 31 posters, 381 still photographs, 257 open reel tapes, 647 videocassettes (on 8 March 2000)
- Extent and medium (processed)
- 18776 Archival box, 2347.0 linear meters
271 Rolls of 35 mm microfilm in microfilm cabinet, 13.55 linear meters
6 Oversized box (40 cm), 2.4 linear meters
83 Archival card box, 26.14 linear meters
237 Rolls of 16 mm microfilm in microfilm cabinet, 5.45 linear meters
1 Beta SP, 0.03 linear meters
2 Boxes of color prints, 0.88 linear meters
647 VHS, 16.18 linear meters
- Name of creator(s)
- Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty, Inc - Research Institute
Content and structure
- Scope and Content (Abstract)
- The records consist primarily of clippings, abstracts of media reports, and monitoring of television and radio broadcasts. Also included is the record set of publications of Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty (RFE/RL) and its predecessors (Radio Free Europe and Radio Liberty). The records of the Institute for the History of Communism, an independent entity affiliated with the Radios, are also present.
The records are organized by the unit of the Research Institute or its predecessors that created the records. Many series of records continued from the early years of the Radios to the close of the Research Institute, irrespective of the name of the organizational unit that created them. Most important among these are the series of files directly concerned with the countries to which the Radios broadcast; these are found within the records of the Information Resources Department.
The records are primarily textual, but they include videotapes of Russian television broadcasts and small quantities of other audiovisual materials and electronic records.
Especially important are the files of samizdat publications from the Soviet Union and Poland and related information about unofficial activities in the countries of the region.
Note: The records usually do not contain information about the administration of the Research Institute or of Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty. The corporate administrative records and the broadcast tapes and scripts were transferred to the Hoover Institution (http://hoorferl.stanford.edu/ Library and Archives: Radio Free Euroipe/ Radio Liberty Records)
Conditions of access and use
- Conditions governing access
- Conditions governing reproduction
- Copyright is owned by Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty. Pursuant to the deposit agreement (see legal status), this material is provided for, and may be copied for, research purposes only. Any other use requires the prior written consent of RFE/RL.
- Albanian, Armenian, Belarusian, Bosnian, Bulgarian, Croatian, Czech, English, Estonian, Finnish, French, Georgian, German, Hungarian, Italian, Kazakh, Kirghiz; Kyrgyz, Latvian, Lithuanian, Macedonian, Polish, Pushto; Pashto, Romanian; Moldavian; Moldovan, Romany, Russian, Serbian, Serbo-Croatian, Slovak, Slovenian, Spanish; Castilian, Swedish, Ukrainian
- Periodicals and related materials deposited with the Open Society Archives are described on the Archives' Library site; books deposited with the Open Society Archives are described in the Central European University library catalog.