HU OSA 34 Records of the Open Society Institute Assistance Foundation–Uzbekistan
- Reference code
- HU OSA 34
- Records of the Open Society Institute Assistance Foundation–Uzbekistan
- 1996 - 2004
- Description level
- Extent and medium (estimated)
- 2 linear meters (16 archival box)
- Extent and medium (processed)
- 17 Archival box, 2.13 linear meters
- Name of creator(s)
- Open Society Institute Assistance Foundation–Uzbekistan
Content and structure
- Scope and Content (Abstract)
- The Open Society Institute Assistance Foundation - Uzbekistan (OSIAF) began its activities in Tashkent in October 1996 as an international humanitarian organization with the mission to support the development of an open and democratic civil society in the country.
The institute functioned as a charitable fund and was a member of the network of nonprofit organizations and agencies that are funded by the financier and philanthropist George Soros. It supported a wide range of programs that focused on issues of law, politics, education, communication, and human rights. The key governing bodies of the foundation in Tashkent were the Board of Trustees and the Executive Director.
In April 2004, the Uzbek government revoked the registration of OSIAF Uzbekistan thereby forcing the foundation to close.
The records are organized by name of office or body who created them and are primarily textual. They also include small quantities of electronic records like consolidated foundation grants list, annual reports, Board meeting minutes and agendas, and press releases.
Conditions of access and use
- Conditions governing access
- English, French, German, Russian, Uzbek