Wooden eyes : nine reflections on distance
- Uniform Title
- Occhiacci di legno.
- Ginzburg, Carlo.
- New York : Columbia University Press, c2001.
- Physical Description
- xv, 261 p. : ill. ; 24 cm.
- Ryle, Martin H.
- Soper, Kate.
- ""I am a Jew who was born and who grew up in a Catholic country; I never had a religious education; my Jewish identity is in large measure the result of persecution." This brief autobiographical statement is a key to understanding Carlo Ginzburg's interest in the topic of his latest book: distance. In nine linked essays, he addresses the question: "What is the exact distance that permits us to see things as they are?""--BOOK JACKET.
- Perspective (Philosophy)
- Culture > Philosophy.
- Aesthetic distance.
- Carlo Ginzburg ; translated by Martin Ryle and Kate Soper.
- European perspectives
- 1. Making it Strange: The Prehistory of a Literary Device -- 2. Myth: Distance and Deceit -- 3. Representation: The World, the Idea, the Thing -- 4. Ecce: On the Scriptural Roots of Christian Devotional Imagery -- 5. Idols and Likenesses: A Passage in Origen and Its Vicissitudes -- 6. Style: Inclusion and Exclusion -- 7. Distance and Perspective: Two Metaphors -- 8. To Kill a Chinese Mandarin: The Moral Implications of Distance -- 9. Pope Wojtyla's Slip.
|Book||OSA Archivum Library||Reference collection||195 GIN||Reference||-|
Browse related items