HU OSA 300-80-9 Kraus Biographical Files
- Reference code
- HU OSA 300-80-9
- Kraus Biographical Files
- 1958 - 1994
- Description level
- Extent and medium (estimated)
- 501 plastic card boxes, 6 archival card boxes type B
- Extent and medium (processed)
- 788 Archival box, 98.5 linear meters
- Archival history
- Kraus' Biographical Files are named after their creator Herwig Kraus who was working on the project for more than 30 years (during certain periods with support of several people).
The purpose of the project was to collect information on a wide range of people from the Soviet Union whose names were mentioned in the Soviet press, paying special attention to their positions inside the Soviet hierarchy.
During the last decade of the Zastoi (Stagnation) period, the Kraus' Biographical files was considered a very important source of information.
Content and structure
- Scope and Content (Abstract)
- Up to the beginning of the 1980s, the predominant format in the Kraus Biographical Files were slips of paper with several lines of typed information (name of a person, position, source). The files also include clippings from the Russian and Western press, news agency releases, copies of articles written by and about the people mentioned. During the 1980s and 1990s, clippings predominated.
The records contain information on persons and their positions in the Soviet (later Russian) social and political hieracrhy. Working from names appearing in the Soviet (later Russian) publications Kraus assembled information not only on the top level persons in the state, but also on directors of regional industry, medium level military personnel, and the like.
The strength of the Kraus Biographical Files was the wide range of persons included.
Conditions of access and use
- Conditions governing access
- Publication note
- The composition of leading organs of the CPSU (1952-1976): CPSU CC Politburo and Secretariat members, CPSU CC full and candidat members, CPSU Central Audity Commission members. Supplement to the Radio Liberty Research Bulletin / Compiled by Herwig Kraus. [Munich : Radio Liberty], 1976. (Other edition was published in 1982).
The Soviet biographical archive, 1954-1985, Washington: Chadwyck-Healey, [1986?]. - Microfiche.The microffiche publication contains copies of similar biographical files for the earlier period which otherwise are not avalilable.
All these publications are available at the Open Society Archives.