The meaning of the library : a cultural history
- Princeton ; Oxford : Princeton University Press, 2015.
- Physical Description
- xxix, 300 pages, 16 unnumbered pages of plates : illustrations (some color) ; 25 cm.
- Crawford, Alice, 1958- (editor of compilation.)
- Hall, Edith, 1959- (author.)
- Gameson, Richard, (author.)
- Pettegree, Andrew, (author.)
- Darnton, Robert, (author.)
- Allan, David, 1964- (author.)
- Sutherland, John, 1938- (author.)
- Warner, Marina, 1946- (author.)
- Crawford, Robert, 1959- (author.)
- Marcus, Laura, (author.)
- Enniss, Stephen, (author.)
- Price-Wilkin, W. John (William John), 1956- (author.)
- Billington, James H., (author.)
- "Tracing what the library has meant since its beginning, examining how its significance has shifted, and pondering its importance in the twenty-first century, significant contributors--including the librarian of the Congress and the former executive director of the HathiTrust--present a cultural history of the library"--Dust jacket flap.
- Libraries > History.
- Libraries and society.
- edited by Alice Crawford.
- Introduction / Alice Crawford -- Part 1. The Library through Time. 1. Adventures in ancient Greek and Roman libraries / Edith Hall ; 2. The image of the medieval library / Richard Gameson ; 3. The Renaissance library and the challenge of print / Andrew Pettegree ; 4. From printing shop to bookshelves : how books began the journey to Enlightenment libraries / Robert Darnton ; 5. "The advantages of literature" : the subscription library in Georgian Britain / David Allan ; 6. Literature and the library in the nineteenth century / John Sutherland -- Part 2. The Library in Imagination. 7. The library in fiction / Marina Warner ; 8. The library in poetry / Robert Crawford ; 9. The library in film : order and mystery / Laura Marcus -- Part 3. The Library Now and in the Future. 10. "Casting and gathering" : libraries, archives, and the modern writer / Stephen Enniss ; 11. Meanings of the library today / John P. Wilkin ; 12. The modern library and global democracy / James H. Billington.
|Book||OSA Archivum Library||Reference collection||027/.009 CRA||Reference||-|
Browse related items