War of the century : when Hitler fought Stalin
- Rees, Laurence, 1957-
- London : BBC Worldwide Ltd, 1999.
- Physical Description
- 255 p. : ill. (some col.), col. maps ; 26 cm.
- The fall of Communism provided access to Russian archives never before available to the international community, making it possible to find and question many of those who experienced the "war of the century." Laurence Rees, author and producer of the Peabody Award-winning The Nazis: A Warning from History, uses previously unpublished material and photographs, dramatic interviews with witnesses who knew Hitler or Stalin, and the voices of soldiers and civilians on the Eastern Front to shed new light on Hitler's "war of annihilation."
A fierce ideological clash as well as a military one, Hitler's invasion of Russia played a major part in determining the outcome of World War II and shaped the political landscape of Europe in the Cold War which lasted for the next forty-five years. War of the Century focuses on key events and policies such as Hitler's decision to invade the Soviet Union, the legendary and horrific siege of Stalingrad, the Germans' barbaric treatment of Soviet civilians and Red Army prisoners of war, and Stalin's paranoid revenge against real and perceived enemies. With this new evidence, Rees explores the truth behind the war, its ruthless leaders and devastating effects on the military and civilian populations of both sides.
- Hitler, Adolf, 1889-1945.
- Stalin, Joseph, 1878-1953.
- World War, 1939-1945 > Campaigns > Eastern Front.
- Soviet Union > History > German occupation, 1941-1944.
- Germany > Foreign relations > Soviet Union.
- Soviet Union > Foreign relations > Germany.
- Germany > Foreign relations > 1933-1945.
- Soviet Union > Foreign relations > 1917-1945.
- Laurence Rees ; foreword by Ian Kershaw.
- "Published to accompany the television series War of the century first broadcast on BBC2 in 1999"--T.p. verso.
- 1. High hopes -- 2. A different kind of war -- 3. Learning how to win -- 4. Vengeance.
- Library Special Collection
- The Roger Griffin ComFas Collection
- Related Work
- War of the century (Television program)
|Book||OSA Archivum Library||General collection||940.54/217 REE||General Stacks||-|
Browse related items